A bit of BARC news to relay, so here goes.
1. The FCC is looking to make cuts to 60m usage. This is short fused. Your comments are needed by 30 October (preferably not to make the proposed changes.) Below is my example comment if you'd like to use / edit it. Even better if you can make a personal comment on your use of 60m:
I strongly encourage the FCC to support ARRL’s initiative for the current 100 W ERP power limit to be maintained (instead of reducing the power limit to 15 W EIRP) and continuing secondary access to the current channels. The current FCC proposal would take away several discreet channels and reduce power output from the current 100 W to less than 10 W. This proposal is the most sweeping reduction of HF privileges in decades. If the FCC goes through with the change, will an emboldened FCC remove or modify more HF privileges? Government is in place to protect the citizenry it represents, not to strip them of their rights and privileges. I look forward to your support. Respectfully, (name, call)
For more info, here's the ARRL web page: https://www.arrl.org/60-meter-band
2. VP Dick, WA4ZIZ notes a free ZOOM class for ham operators seeking their General license beginning 11/2.
3. NOAA updates Cycle 25 (3rd story): https://spaceweather.com
4. BARC meeting last PM, 10/26. Some *important* takeaways:
** No November in person meeting as this runs into Thanksgiving.
** Our next in person meeting & Christmas Party will be 09 Dec, at Fiddler's Resteraunt in Hillsville. We have BARC reservations from 4PM until 8PM. Several things will be occuring besides a good time:
- Officer elections at 7PM. All BARC offices are up for new candidates to step in. This is a great way to give back to your ham community!
- Raffle for a 50W dual band radio. Tickets $1 each, or 5 tickets for $3. (Thanks Frank!)
- BARC patches will be for sale, $5 for 3", and $10 for 6" sew on patches.
- Annual dues will be collected. $15 for 1st member, $7.50 for each additional family member.
- Discussion to consider ARRL affiliation for BARC. A vote will be taken at the in person January Club meeting. ARRL club affiliation benefits can be reviewed here: http://www.arrl.org/affiliated-club-benefits
- Each person, couple or family will pay for their own meal which elimiates the 15% required group gratuity. I.e. tips will be up to you, the payer.
- more meeting details will be available once the minutes are approved.